Welcome to Culinary Goodness!

The Savorys were founded by Almond, the man who moved away from his life in Riverview and bought a plot of land in Sunset Valley. Will he and his legacy make it through fifteen generations, with fifteen simmers telling their story?

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

A Savory Legacy - Prologue

The taxi wound its way along the curving roads of Sunset Valley, climbing ever upwards. Fidgeting in the back seat, I couldn't help wondering what lay in store for me at its destination. I had purchased the land sight unseen, over the internet. Dad had told me it wasn't the wisest of decisions, but instead of being anxious about it, all I felt was excitement. I had my very own place in the world!

I tried to engage my driver in some friendly conversation, but she said enough to be polite to the customer, and no more. I could take a hint. With great effort, I shut my mouth and just watched the scenery. And fidgeted some more.

I was relieved when the taxi finally slowed and came to a stop at the very top of the hill. "Thanks, ma'am," I tried to say to the driver, but she took off again almost as soon as I stepped out. The force of her driving away was enough to let the door slam shut. Yeesh, I thought. What a woman.

Then, I took a look around me and whistled softly. Almond Savory, what have you gotten yourself into? All that was left from the previous owners was a small gardening space, and a bed. No house...no building at all. The view though...the view was spectacular! I'd be spending a good amount of time enjoying that view, since I'd spend just about all of my inheritance money on the land itself.

It seems things are more expensive in Sunset Valley than in Riverview, where I come from. That's all right, though. I'm adaptable, and I knew I'd do great things here in this new town. To that end, first thing's first. It was time to find a job.

I went into the town's bistro with high hopes, and came out with an occupation! Sure, it was just as a dish-washer, but soon it would be much more than that. Maybe I'd even own the bistro someday!

My next order of business was to find some starters for my garden. I asked the first man I saw for directions to the community garden, but he scratched his head in confusion.

"You must be new in town. Sunset Valley don't really have no community garden. Just the park, I'm afraid," he said. "Now that I think about it, though, them scientists over at the science center got a good little garden goin'. Maybe they'd let you take a few starters from there."

I thanked the man after he pointed me in the right direction, and realized I never even asked his name. I felt like I had been pretty rude, but maybe I'd see him again and could introduce myself then. His directions were good as gold, however, and the scientists didn't mind if I took a bunch of grapes and some apples.


After making it home again - and I was already beginning to get used to calling this open piece of land my home - I lost no time planting the seeds. I loved to cook, and my mother had taught me that the best meals come from the best produce. What could be better than produce grown in my own back yard?

When I had planted the last seed, I wiped the dirt from my hands and pondered what to do next. It wasn't time for sleeping yet. Then I spotted the lake, conveniently located right across the street.

I pulled my old fishing pole out of the duffel bag which contained all the possessions I had brought with me and assembled it excitedly. I'd always loved to spend a few hours fishing once in a while. Not like I wanted to make a career out of it, or anything, but it was a fun way to pass the time.
Just as the sun began to set, I caught my first fish! He wasn't much, but I felt accomplished, anyway. He'd provide at least a little fertilizer for my budding plants.

I replaced my fishing pole, then stopped a moment to look at the amazing view. So, this was my new city. I think I'm in love, I thought. My tummy grumbled. Or, maybe it's just hunger. I smiled to myself, and decided to visit the park for dinner.
I stopped at the market for some hot dogs on the way, then whistled as I fired up one of the park's grills. I may not be the best chef yet, but I planned to fix that problem, and the more practice I could get, the better.
I had thought to share my hot dogs with some other park-goers, but I looked around and saw I was alone. I guess most people have families to eat their dinners with. That was another goal of mine, someday. Find a nice girl, settle down, have a kid or two. All in good time. Right now I was just happy to be starting my life on my own.

As I fell asleep under the peaceful stars that night, I couldn't help but think there were great things in store for me here in Sunset Valley.

13 comments:

Chelsea.Cakes said...

I... love it! You are an awesome writer, and I'm excited to know what happens next!!!

jenaben8806 said...

Yay for Almond! I really like it!

TheUsernameFound said...

Love Almond. ^_^

Faktririjekt said...

Great start to a legacy. :) A very fitting career.

I can't wait to see who he hooks up with.

StyxLady said...

Glad you all like it, so far! :)

Faktririjekt said...

Question - at the top, it says Almond came from Twinbrook. In the post itself, it says he came from Riverview. Which is it?

StyxLady said...

I wrote that he came from Riverview. :) Whoever edited the top wrote Twinbrook..lol. No biggie, I'm sure it's easily fixed. I didn't even notice! Thanks for catching it.

Chelsea.Cakes said...

Whoops. So sorry, I'm used to using Twinbrook (thats where my legacy takes place)

Chelsea.Cakes said...

It was changed!

Aaron said...

Love Almond!

Deeds said...

I love this! Almond is adorable and he sounds like such an awesome Sim. Can't wait to continue reading about him :)

kels. said...

This is so cute! I was a bit iffy on whether I'd try to do a legacy of my own as I've never done something like that before. But this is inspiring! I think I'm going to give it a whirl.

Anonymous said...

Love his name!

Post a Comment