Welcome to Culinary Goodness!

The Savorys were founded by Almond, the man who moved away from his life in Riverview and bought a plot of land in Sunset Valley. Will he and his legacy make it through fifteen generations, with fifteen simmers telling their story?

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Chapter Four

Sage's birthday was coming up, which provided a perfect opportunity. Holly talked to Rett the next morning and asked him to invite a friend or two from school to come to the party. Rett looked at his toes for a moment and then sighed.

"Is everything okay, Sweetie?" Holly asked him.

"I...I just don't really have any friends, Mom." Rett's mouth turned down in a frown, and Holly thought he looked about to cry.




She gathered him up in a comforting hug. "Well, that's easily fixed," she said confidently. "Everyone loves parties, Rett. Invite someone, and I bet whoever it is won't turn down cake."

Rett looked a little uneasy, but finally agreed.

That afternoon, he came home with a look of triumph on his face. "I got someone to say yes, Mom!" He exclaimed as though he didn't think it would happen.
Holly smiled. "There, you see? Nothing to it."


The big day was that weekend, and Rett was more excited for his sister's party than Sage was. Of course, Sage was young yet, and didn't really understand.


Rett's new friend, Kenya, arrived right on time, and the two hit it off immediately.


Kenya was a lot more outgoing and confident than my boy, and she lured him out of his shell with little effort. She was exactly what he had needed.

They were too wrapped up in talking and playing to come outside and watch Sage blow out her candles, but Holly and I decided to let them be. This is what we had hoped for, after all. We wanted Rett to have as much interaction with an actual person as possible.

Even after Kenya left, her influence remained. Rett spent the rest of the evening playing with his dollhouse again, but he actually invited Sage to play with him, this time.


From that day on, if Rett wasn't playing with Kenya, he was playing with Sage. They played with the dollhouse, but they also played with blocks, and sometimes even played chess at the park. Sage begged me for a chess table of our own, and I promised her we'd get one when I got my next promotion.
Luckily, that promotion wasn't far behind. Along with it came a fantastic new refrigerator; one of the perks of my position. It had tons of space, and kept leftovers fresh for a very long time. Holly was ecstatic.

True to my word, I also purchased Sage a chess table. She clapped and thanked me, giving me a sweet hug. Holly, who was an accomplished artist by this time, had finished a portrait of me which we hung over the chess table. I have to admit, it felt kind of odd watching myself stare out of the canvas.

My promotion also allowed us to expand the house once again, as well as update some of our older appliances. We even purchased a dishwasher, much to Holly's relief. I did my share of dishes, and didn't mind the sink, but she hated when her fingers got all wrinkly.

Rett retained his friendship with Kenya, and called her often, just to chat. Their relationship continued to strengthen as they grew from children to teenagers.

Apparently, Holly was working on her latest painting when Rett got up the guts to steal his very first kiss. He thought Holly's back was turned, but she sneaked a peek.

Neither Holly or I was sure their romance would last, but I was glad my son was getting past his fears enough to experience life to the fullest.


Sage still idolized her older brother, and took an interest in everything he did. When he started painting, she gave it a try.


She sat next to him on the school bus in the morning, and did her homework with him in the afternoon. Luckily, Rett had built a friendship with his sister, and he didn't mind his little shadow, most of the time.

He even cheered the loudest of all of us when it was time for Sage to join him in teenager-hood. My little girl grew up beautifully, and looked so much like her mother. Like Rett, she soon announced she would like to be an illustrious author someday.


Both my children wanted to be masters in painting and writing. For Sage's birthday present, I sent her and Rett to a writing class. I regretted it later, when she came home begging for their own computer. I have trouble denying my little girl anything. They both immediately began working on writing books, while I kept up my performance at the bistro.



Then, one day, it happened. I received my final promotion to 5-star chef! I had accomplished the goal I set for myself so long ago, when I first moved to Sunset Valley.



Now that what I had worked for for so long had become reality, I was left pondering what to do with my spare time. I learned every recipe the bookstore and library had to offer, and started keeping better track of my previously neglected garden.


I checked out a book on plumbing and other do-it-yourself projects, and upgraded every single appliance in my home so that it would never break again. I even found a trick to make the stove cook more evenly!

One of my co-workers, Jared, found out about my endeavors and asked me to upgrade his stereo for him. He was so pleased with my work that he paid me quite a bit of money for the job.



Holly was doing well in her career, also. She had sold so many paintings that the mayor of the city awarded her with a special ribbon. I was so proud of her for accomplishing so much while raising our kids, and I loved her even more now than I had when I married her.


And now, as I watch my eldest blow out the candles on the cake, signifying his transition to young adulthood, I realize I've accomplished everything I set out to do in my life, and more. Even in all my imaginings, I had never dreamed I'd be as happy as I am. I only hope my children can find as much happiness in their lives.

5 comments:

Afkthenad said...

Very nice wrap up to generation one Styx! You did a fantastic job with it :)

StyxLady said...

Thanks, afk! Working on your sig now. :)

TheUsernameFound said...

Wonderful, wonderful. ^_^ GREAT JOB

StyxLady said...

:D Thanks, TUF!

Deeds said...

Amazing ending to a wonderful first chapter! Can't wait to see who the next heir/ess is!

Post a Comment